The policies are applied by the SDMS to ensure adherence to high ethical standards of advertising and to define the eligibility of products, programs, and/or services for advertisement in SDMS publications, on its website, or via direct marketing.
- SDMS retains the right to decline any advertising of products, programs, and services, in any form or to discontinue posting of any advertisement previously accepted that it deems in conflict with the Society's mission and/or policies. The SDMS may advertise jointly sponsored activities.
- With the exception of vascular technologist, the use of the words "tech," "technologist" and "technician" are prohibited when referring to a registered sonographer. The SDMS prefers the use of diagnostic medical sonographer or sonographer and, optionally, any specialty area(s) practiced (e.g., cardiac sonographer, vascular sonographer).
- Advertising related to the practice of diagnostic medical sonography, will be accepted. Comparisons and comparatives are prohibited.
- In addition to the above, products and services offered by responsible advertisers that are of interest to sonographers are also eligible for advertising.
- Equipment, Instruments, and Devices: The SDMS determines the eligibility of advertising for products intended for diagnostic purposes. Complete scientific and technical data concerning the product's safety, operation, and usefulness may be required. These data may be either published or unpublished. Samples of equipment, devices, or instruments should not be submitted. Where applicable, approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) may be required. The SDMS reserves the right to decline advertising for any product that is involved in litigation safety or with respect to claims made in the marketing of the product.
- Advertisements should not be deceptive or misleading. Exaggerated or extravagantly worded text will not be allowed. Unfair comparison or unwarranted disparagement of a competitors product, program, or service will not be accepted.
- Advertisement in no way constitutes SDMS approval or endorsement (implicit or explicit) of products, programs, or services provided by the advertiser. The advertiser must not use the SDMS or any other related logos/names without express written permission from the SDMS.
- SDMS does not review products or services prior to accepting an advertisement.