Musculoskeletal Injury (MSI)
The SDMS is concerned about the dramatic and ever-increasing impact of musculoskeletal injury (MSI) within the profession. The WorkZone area of our website provides support and assistance to SDMS members, as well as to other interested persons such as equipment manufacturers and employers.
- OSHA Launches Sonographer eTool
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) issued a news release announcing the availability of a new Sonography eTool designed to help sonographers reduce their risk from work-related musculoskeletal Disorders (WRMSD’s). This work product is the result of a collaborative effort between OSHA and the SDMS, and was produced, in part, as a result of SDMS’s participation as an OSHA Alliance partner.
- New OSHA "It's the Law" Poster Available
An updated version of the OSHA “It’s the Law” poster is now available. The poster, which is free of charge, is available in English (http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3165.pdf) and Spanish (http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3167.pdf) on the OSHA Web site and can also be ordered from the OSHA publications office at (202) 693-1888 or 1-800-321-OSHA. The OSHA poster must be displayed in every workplace in United States.
- Preventing Occupational Injury Among Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations has published an article on OSHA and preventing occupational injury among sonographers.
- SDMS/OSHA Form Alliance for Prevention of Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders
The SDMS and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) have signed a formal Alliance Partnership agreement. This Alliance document addresses SDMS/OSHA collaboration on the provision of resources and information to SDMS members and others within the medical community on issues related to the reduction and prevention of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (MSD).
- SDMS Responds to Major Workforce Issue: The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS) hosted a Consensus Conference on Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders (WRMSD) in Sonography on May 13-14, 2003 in Dallas, Texas. Joan P. Baker, MSR, RDMS, RDCS, FSDMS, chaired this project to develop risk-reducing industry standards that serve to address the multifaceted problem of WRMSD in sonography. These industry standards address the role of employees, employers, educators, medical facilities, and equipment manufacturers in reducing the incidence/impact of these injuries on the workforce. These industry standards will also assist all stakeholders in making informed decisions. The final industry standards will be disseminated worldwide.
Members Only Benefit!
Our SDMS Discussion Forums include an area specifically for discussion of issues related to musculokeletal injury and their impact on sonographers. To access the forums, click here.
A whitepaper provided by Siemens Medical, discusses work related musculoskeletal disorders. [View Article*]